The error “This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action” mainly originates in the case that the operating system cannot select a program to open or perform tasks on the file. This mainly happens when you change the file extension to something else instead of the default.
Method 1: Restore default file extension types
You will have to reset the extensions for all file types and see if this solves the problem.
- Press Windows + S, enter “choose a default app for each file type” in the dialog box and open the Settings app.
- Select the file type you are having problems with, click the program list and choose the default application. You can also try using another program to open the file extension and try opening or performing the operations on it again.
Alternatively, you can navigate to Settings> Apps and features> Default apps and click Reset to reset all of the defaults recommended by Microsoft.
Method 2: Use Microsoft Hotfix
Another solution that works for users is to use a Microsoft hotfix to fix Windows file and folder problems. This hotfix is used to scan the group policy and registry settings, to check if there is any difference. If so, you can easily fix them using this hotfix and the application should get everything working again.
- Download the hotfix
- Once the hotfix is downloaded, run it, restart your computer, and try to access the file that’s causing you problems.
Method 3: Switch the account to the Administrator group
Another thing to try before using the system restore method is to move your account to the admin group, where you will have all the privileges. It may happen that you cannot manipulate the file because you do not have the appropriate privileges.
- Press Windows + R, type “lusrmgr.msc” into the dialog box and press Enter.
- Click Groups and select Administrators. Another window will appear, listing all the admins on the computer. Click Add near the bottom.
- Click Advanced and select Find Now from the next window. Now, choose your account from the list below and click OK.
- When you have selected an account to add, click OK to continue on the remaining windows. Now, restart your computer and try to access the file again.
Above are 3 ways to fix the error “This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action”. Good luck