What you’ll learn
Chess openings: Learn Ruy Lopez for Black with Chess Master Course
- The oldest and most played chess opening
- How to get a solid position after a few moves
- Switching from the opening to the middle game and endgame
- Basic understanding of chess
- Basic-intermediate understanding of chess opening principles
Every chess opening has the main objective. Some positional advantage or attack that you’re trying to achieve.
Ruy Lopez was a Spanish priest and chess lover, who wrote a book in 1561 about chess opening techniques. Named after him, this chess opening has become one of the most heavily analyzed openings in today’s game and continues to enjoy incredible popularity at all levels.
The main idea behind Ruy Lopez opening for black is to have an easy and clear development at the beginning of the game. Depending on the style, the chess player can choose to play the sharp and open game with lots of tactics, or to play a closed variation, preferring to maneuver.
During this course, both options for black are described, so depending on your chess game style, you can choose your favorite variation.